Modern eyewear serves a dual purpose. In addition to being a vision-correcting medical device used to enhance your quality of life, eyeglasses have become a major fashion accessory. Therefore, when it comes to selecting eyeglasses there are many important factors to consider.
Clearly, the primary value proposition of eyeglasses is improving one’s vision. Therefore, the quality and type of your eyeglass lenses is paramount. Some of the most popular eyeglass lenses and lens treatments prescribed today include:
- Aspheric lenses, which provide a slimmer, more attractive profile and sharper peripheral vision than conventional eyeglass lenses.
- High-index plastic lenses are thinner and lighter than conventional lenses and provide better built-in protection against the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
- Wavefront technology lenses are fabricated based on very precise measurements of the way light travels through your eye, which helps sharpen visual clarity.
- Polycarbonate and Trivex lenses are thinner, lighter and up to 10 times more impact-resistant than regular plastic lenses, making them the perfect choice for safety glasses, sports eyewear and eyeglasses for children and active adults.
- Photochromic lenses provide 100 percent UV protection and darken automatically in sunlight to reduce the need for prescription sunglasses.
- Polarised lenses diminish glare from flat, reflective surfaces (like water) and also reduce eye fatigue.
- Anti-reflective coating dramatically improves the look and comfort of your glasses by reducing distracting lens reflections that interfere with eye contact and make your lenses look thicker. AR-coated lenses also reduce glare and allow more light into your eyes for better night vision.
- Other lens coatings include scratch-resistant coating, anti-fog coating and UV-blocking lens treatments.
If this information above is overwhelming, don’t worry, the opticians at Union Square Eye Care are available to ensure your options are clear.
In addition, to the obvious value of corrective eyeglasses, eyeglasses have become a part of one’s style and wardrobe. From designers like Cole Haan to Tory Burch, there are numerous eyeglass frames to choose from.
Frames are made from a large variety of materials ranging from acetates and hard plastics to metals and metal alloys. The quality of frame materials is very high nowadays with many cutting-edge manufacturers investing heavily in developing new innovations and materials to make stronger, more flexible, lighter and more beautiful frames.
In considering the optimal material for your eyeglass frame, your lifestyle plays a big role. Children and those with active lifestyles require durable and flexible frames that are resistant to breaks from hits and falls. Other characteristics of frame materials to consider are the weight or flexibility of the material as well as the price.
Hinges and nosepads also play an important role in durability and comfort of your frames. Children in particular can benefit from spring hinges and nosepads which can keep the frames from slipping off. Rimless or semi-rimless glasses are also an option for those that durability is not a primary concern.
Frame size is a very important factor in frame selection. Frames should fit well and not slip off the nose or be too tight and press against the temples or the sides of the nose.
Come visit the Optical Boutique at Union Square Eye Care to find the right prescription, frames, and lenses. Our team of opticians are here to help.